Friday, January 2, 2009

Chapter One - Indestructible

Here is the beginning of the next book after Under the Full Moon:

Chapter 1: Indestructible

I swallowed loudly and I bet everyone could hear it. It wasn’t that I was afraid, it was that I didn’t have a plan yet and havoc would be released upon the hunters at midnight and I was expected to help with the extermination. What was I going to do?

I strongly hoped that Evan had come up with a plan to help me. I knew he would have gone to Dad, Sarah, and Kelley, but I didn’t know if Evan had received my hint. I asked Marcus whether he was going to let me go on purpose because I had mentioned the hunters. I hoped Evan had caught the part about the hunters. If so, then I could count on them to help me tonight if Marcus’s men didn’t get to them first.


I was also worried because In the back of my mind I wasn’t sure that Marcus was going to let me go after the hunters were dealt with, especially since I was going to try to help the hunters in some way. Technically, I didn’t want to help the hunters simply because they were killing our kind and because of that I was at a cross roads.

On one hand, the hunters were hunting us and that just did not work for me, but then again, vampires were killing hunters. So, really, I had no idea what to do.

Robert remained next to me in Marcus’s living room as the others cleared out casually. There was talk of getting more weapons and possibly setting traps; they thought it would be ironic when an animal trap caught a hunter. I also heard several of them go down the hallway and into the cellar to feed.

Everyone was moving, but I was still standing there, in the exact same spot with my mouth hanging open.

Marcus walked very close to me as he left the room, “Remember, if you don’t help, Evan dies.” His strong eyes met mine and I felt my blood boil as he walked away.

I kept standing there not sure if my legs would work if I tried to move. There was no way I could get around the agreement; I had to help Marcus kill the hunters.

“I’m sorry that you’re here,” Robert was standing much closer now. “I wish he wasn’t doing this.”

I turned my head slowly to look at Robert as hatred began to fill my eyes, “You’re sorry? You’re … sorry?” I was rigid, disbelieving, that Robert of all people could stand here and serve Marcus like the people in the cellar. Robert was a slave just like the rest of them. “Don’t you dare tell me that you are sorry when you are here helping him with murder. Don’t you dare try to be my friend now. You had your chance.” I walked away hastily, not sure where to stomp off to, so I just went back in the room where I fed earlier.

By the time eleven o’clock rolled around, I was still sitting in the room, and I was still staring at the same spot on the wall. I couldn’t bring myself to think about what was about to happen. I didn’t want to think about having to kill all those humans. But I had to … for Evan. I knew that sounded awful, but it was the only reason I could give myself. There was no way this massacre would be completely justifiable, but I knew that I had a reason to obey Marcus and that helped with my reasoning a little bit. Only a little bit.

“Andria,” I heard my name being called from somewhere in the house.

“Yup,” I answered, complying.I stood up slowly, stretching my legs, and finally taking a deep breath. I closed my eyes as I approached the door and then opened it along with my eyes. Here we go, I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment