Friday, January 9, 2009

Dead Girl Story...

Yesterday I read Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy and it was really great. To state the truth, I haven't read a plot that good since HoN (my fav). So, that's really saying something. I actually picked it up because the author's agent is the agent I would really like to take on PORFEARIA. She has a really good eye, so I guess if I get a rejection email than I know my work sucks ... haha okay maybe not sucks, just not her style ... maybe. But no use worrying over that.

Today I am going to pick up my Dead Girl story, which I started just before NaNo and had to abandon. It's really one of my favorite ideas I've had. I would rank it directly under UFM. I don't have a title for it yet because I don't actually know where the plot is going to go. I have a few ideas, but nothing set in stone as of yet.

Here's a sneak peek at part of the first chapter:

I walked out of the house, shutting the door behind me.

I made my way down the all-too-familiar front steps and onto the sidewalk. I took a left and rounded the corner of the block. There was hardly anyone around, it being a Saturday, but as soon as I walked around the corner of the next block, the streets came alive. The shopping district was busy as usual with pedestrians and cars, but mostly pedestrians walking from shop to shop. I was still a street away from it, waiting for the appropriate crossing signal. When the correct signal told me it was safe, I walked across the street and in front of the shops.

I had to weave my way in and out of the shopping crowd of mostly mothers and daughters until I finally came to the next corner where I turned right and crossed another street. When I had made it safely across and taken a few paces I accidentally knocked into someone. I turned and mumbled an apology and continued on my way. But then I noticed what my subconscious had already noticed.

I remembered seeing red and the color immediately triggered the dream. I turned around to prove to myself that whomever I had bumped into wasn’t her, but I was wrong. It was her: her dark copper jeans, brown hair, and of course the red jacket. It was too big on her, on the real her that was in front of my eyes.

She stopped at the curb I had come up on before bumping into her and waited for the signal to cross safely. She turned to the side, giving me a profile view of her face. She was as beautiful as she had been in my dream, but this time she didn’t look helpless. Her hands were in her jacket pockets and I noticed she was wearing sandals. They were copper to match her pants. I had noticed girls wearing sandals in winter before, but had never given it a second thought. Now it occurred to me that her feet were probably freezing.

I thought it weird that she was wearing the same outfit as in my dream. Maybe it signaled something. Maybe it signaled her death. I approached her, scared that if I didn’t then she would go to her death when I could have prevented it. But I didn’t know how she would die, just that she would.

“Excuse me,” I said, putting my hand on her right shoulder.

She faced me and I removed my hand. She eyed me from the ground up, finally landing on my mouth.

“Um, okay, this is really weird but I … uh …” I stuttered.

“Spit it out,” she said.

“Okay … I think you’re going to die today.” I said, holding my breath.

“You what!” She raised her voice in shock.

“Yeah … I think you might die today.”

“Ugh, freak!” She said, taking a step back.

She tripped on her sandals and fell backwards off the curb and into the street. I took a step forward, about to step off the curb and help her up. Right before I reached down to give her my hand she got up to her feet, then she screamed.

The light was green, the car coming for her wasn’t stopping, and it was going too fast. It hit her, the front bumper hitting her legs, throwing her into the windshield too hard. She stuck in the windshield until the driver slammed down on the breaks, throwing her back onto the pavement. I stood there in shock, one foot off the curb.


And here is my word count so far ... not much, but I hope my muse comes back soon so I can really get going.


1 comment:

  1. Wow.. that's instensely freaky. Nice start.. interesting too. Thanks for reading my blog too. I'm not sure about what you didn't get... but I didn't start fromt he beginning so it might've been about something that happened there and then... :S yeah.

    Cool. I'll read this as religously as possible too.

    ReplyDelete