Tuesday, January 6, 2009

UFM Update

My muse still hasn't come back. This is getting quite ridiculous. She has never gone away this long and I'm beginning to worry. Oh well, I guess she deserves a holiday just like everyone else in the world. Bummer. That's okay though because it gives me a lot of free time to edit Under the Full Moon in time for Amazon's Novel contest. I still have to write up a great pitch, which I think is the hardest part about writing, especially for this contest. If they read my pitch and hate it then I'm totally screwed because they won't even go on to read an excerpt. I mean it's really going to break my heart if I don't even get past the pitch. That's all I'm asking for actually. Just read my pitch and move onto the next step and I will beam with joy and gratitude.

I had to end up leaving out Evan's narrative in Under the Full Moon because even though it added volume, character traits and development, and most importantly insight into Evan's mind, it was really boring reading both Andi and Evan's POV in the same story. Mostly because they are most always together, but you see, when they aren't together is when I need Evan's POV the most. So I came up with a compromise and it's very much growing on me to the point where I just might keep it...

I completely took out Evan's POV and let him do a single narrative at the beginning of each chapter. It works well because it gives an over view of the chapter, but it also shows how Evan feels about some things, the most important things. This is important because there are a few moments in the story that crucially defines Evan's character to the point where the reader needs to know why he does what he does. For instance: when he finds out his parents were vamp hunters, he gets upset and throws blood all over the kitchen. Well, the reason he was upset was because they never spent any time with him when they were alive and now he's finding out why. This greatly affects him because when they were alive he was dating a vamp and they would have killed her if they had ever met her the way he wanted them to. PLUS, now he is also a vamp, so really, he is now everything they stood against. This is why he is upset and you see, the reader would never have known his reasoning for being upset if they didn't have his narrative. A personal narrative is a lot more crucial than dialogue. Personal narrative shows what the character really feels and how he/she deals with things.

Long story made long, I like the new set up for this book and I hope the Amazon judges likes it as well.

Now, I am going to work on editing Chapter Four and hopefully tomorrow I can edit the last two chapters. Even though it isn't necessary, I've been advised to actually use my holiday as an advantage to relax.

15 days until the Spring semester...
American Lit
Computers and Writing (they teach you how to write a BLOG!)
Latin III
Latin IV
Structures of the English Language

No comments:

Post a Comment