Sunday, January 11, 2009

Beautiful Disruption

Okay, so here I am - Kori the write-a-holic. I'm pretty sure my parents have changed my student status to bum during these five weeks of holiday. Too bad they would be super wrong. I finished two novels, edited both, and did all necessary preparations to query one and enter the other into ABNA. Now, too bad I just had the ridiculous idea last night to change Under the Full Moon (btw, changed to Beautiful Disruption thanks to a pretty cool dude) into third person instead of first. I'm really glad I'm making the change because with just Andi's POV, there was so much of Evan being left out. It was quite sad actually. So now I think I've found the perfect compromise for the attached author that I am. I love A and E and I didn't want to let go of either of them. Now I can have them both!

I'm really trying to get through the Sword of Truth series, but every time I pick up Stone of Tears, I find myself wanting to delete all of my own work. It's quite horrible actually. Goodkind is so amazing and I could never be compared to him, but he has taught me a lot about detail. Now, don't get me started on the TV series because I will seriously kill myself. I was flipping through the channels last night and came across it (btw, haven't watched an episode since the first one) and almost died of embarrassment for Goodkind. Holy crap, it is nothing like the books and that makes me want to cry ... a lot. I mean really Kahlan, you can't leave Richard and pass him off to another Confessor because there's only one problem ... all of the Confessors are dead, you're the only one left! Were you not informed of this or are you just a selfish Mother Confessor who doesn't take her job seriously? Needless to say, stupid Hollywood.

Now I will be getting back to rewriting Beautiful Disruption because I only have a couple weeks...

Here is a sneak peek at the work I've completed so far. This is the beginning of the entire book.

-----------

The room was almost bare with only a mattress in the center of the floor, a dresser filled with clothes, and an iHome. The walls were blue, but void of decoration or anything personal. Andria lay on the mattress as she stared at the blank walls and waited for her alarm to buzz, signaling the start of a new school day.

She kicked her black comforter away from her body as the alarm finally released her from false slumber. She rolled off the mattress and onto the floor before getting to her feet. She rubbed her eyes to fool her mother into thinking she was still tired, and went down the few stairs separating the rest of the house from the living room and kitchen. Once in the kitchen, she grabbed a pop tart out of the cabinet – a charade. At any moment, her mother would walk into the kitchen and bid her good morning, so she had to make her think she was eating.

“Good morning, Andria.” Her mother greeted in a worn out voice, right on cue.

“Morning,” Andria said, making her voice sound tired as well. She took a bite out of the pop tart while her mother continued to look at her. “Oh hey Mom, I’m going to go to the mall right after school just so you know, but I’ll be home for dinner.” She told her mom, allowing her to think she always knew what Andria was up to when she really didn’t.

“Okay, have fun.” Mom supplied a quick smile, poured herself some cereal, and sat down at the kitchen table to eat her breakfast.

Andria took the unfinished pop tart with her to the bathroom. She closed her fist around its entirety and it almost immediately crumpled into sugar. She dumped the grainy remains into the trashcan and got in the shower. Then she finished getting ready for the day and headed off to school.

Before she walked into the school, she removed her sunglasses and put her earphones in her ears to help keep her attention away from the humans.

She turned the volume up as loud as it would go and walked into the building. She could still hear their heartbeats over the music, but the complicated double bass in her ears allowed her to focus her thoughts otherwise in order to keep from harming anyone as she walked to her first class.



Evan’s eyes were so heavy he could barely tell what he was reading. He sat in the cafeteria before school, looking over his government notes one final time before he had to take the test in first period.
Even though he had stayed up all night studying, he still didn’t know the material well enough, but it would be enough to pass.

He leaned back in the chair he was sitting in and stared out the window he was facing, willing the bright sun to revive him.

Next time I’ll have to remember I have a test. He thought.

He turned his attention to the big clock near the ceiling to check the time. If he didn’t leave soon, he would be late.

Standing, he gathered his things off the table and stored them in his backpack. He turned around to push in his
chair and that was when he saw her.

She was walking down the main hall just as normal as ever, except that she had earphones in her ears. That may not be abnormal, but people usually use their out-of-class time wisely such as talking to their friends, but she didn’t greet anyone nor did she look at anyone. Her eyes focused straight ahead, yet she seemed to be in another world. Evan had never seen a girl so enthralled by music that it kept her from social interaction, but that wasn’t what caught his initial attention.

She was beautiful. Yes, a lot of girls are beautiful, especially the ones who try their hardest to be so, but she was a natural beauty.

Her skin was creamy, deathly white and her hair was a long, silky, deep black. Her face was round, the type of round that makes you want to cup your hands around the sides just for the feeling. Her entire body was slender, yet curvy, and her baggy black pants weren’t formfitting like her dark burgundy t-shirt, but they still flattered her. She stood just over five foot, a good foot below Evan.

Josh came up to Evan just then, causing him to look away from the beautiful creature.

“Evan. Ready for that Gov test?” Josh asked.

Evan looked back towards the hall, finding her almost immediately. “Who is that?” He asked Josh, not removing his focus.

Josh followed his gaze. “Uh, Andria Marcellus, I’m pretty sure. Dude, we’re gonna be late again.”

Andria Marcellus. Evan was entranced.

He and Josh walked out of the cafeteria and into the crowded main hallway. He looked for Andria, but she was too far ahead and the crowd was too thick for him to see her.He followed Josh into their government class, not being able to remove her from his thoughts. Not wanting to remove her from his thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to be known as a pretty cool dude :P .

    Just read the small excerpt. Though I want to refrain from giving any comments until you send me the whole thing to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's a lot for a break! Even if it's a long one.

    I liked how you changed Under the Full Moon, now Beautiful Distruption which suits it even better. And how Evan and Andy are in there is good.. and it sounds really good.

    Oh, and I haven't read Cross My Heart And Hope To Spy. Sounds cool though, maybe when I finish my growing list of books to read I'll see if it's around here. :D

    ReplyDelete