Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Comedy Hour

Living in Texas is quite comical in the winter. Yesterday, the temperatures were below freezing and there was slight drizzle all day. Then when evening came, the rain began to really freeze, making the roads yucky. Well first off, I went to work about 1:30 and the roads were hardly wet. Way to go News Guy. But when I left he was right on track because my car was completely frozen over. So anyway, classes were cancelled all day yesterday, but I didn't have class anyway.

So over last night, the rain was supposed to get heavier and the temperature was supposed to drop even more. Well, that happened and classes were cancelled all day today, which was really awesome because I did have class. So anyway, the moral of this story is that Texans tend to freak out when "freezing rain" is even mentioned. Almost everyone cancelled their chiropractic appointment at the office yesterday and said they would call us this morning to say if they were coming in today. Well, I haven't gone to work yet, but I can guarantee you that hardly anyone will be there today because of the "black ice". Yes, I'll admit, that is rather dangerous. But when my sister lives in Alaska and it is constantly around -40 degrees there with snow and ice and rain, well, I've grown rather accustomed to not freaking out when mere "freezing rain" threatens our Texas.

Like I said, quite comical.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. Though you live in northern Texas, which is much different than south Texas, where I live. Though I find it interesting because you would think up there, they'd be more tolerant of colder weather. Down here, it really doesn't matter if it rains or is freezing cold or not. Unless it's snowing or flooding, there's gonna be school. And as it pretty much never does the former...

    And what the heck part of Alaska does your sister live in? I've BEEN to Alaska, and my parents are friends with people who have lived in Alaska for years, and it's not even close to being -40 with snow and whatnot all the time. Maybe in the winter, I'd believe it... but I went up there during the summertime and it was 80 degrees and I was sweating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, wow. It was around -30 (celcius) around here (toronto-ish) for a while. If it's anywhere under that they don't let us go outside, but we still come to school. But if it's slowing ("Blizzard".. can't see 5 meters in front of you) it's a snowday and the buses are cancelled, which is my excuse not to go to school (and has happened 7 times so far).

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... lolz.
    I've never been to Texas before, but the winters sound really funny... xD
    I'm also accustomed to that kind of weather... well, if you've lived in Toronto for three years of your life, you'd have to be accustomed... ; )
    thank you so much for the ANBA contest advice... and I would be extremely grateful for your help, thanks = )
    if you ever want to contact me: rochelle_indigo_blue@yahoo.com
    *hugs* you are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete