Saturday, January 3, 2009

Divide

A scene I finished today:

From Chapter Two: Divide

I stood up from where I was leaning on a tree and walked away from the group. I couldn’t stand to hear any more talk of allying with the hunters. It wasn’t right, it wasn’t us. Our kind was supposed to be strong, dependent on no one. But here we were, discussing allying ourselves with humans, and then it got worse because the humans were hunters, vampire hunters. It just went against everything I was ever told and I didn’t feel right being a part of it.

I knew that helping the hunters was the right thing to do compared with Marcus’s ideas, but what about just by itself? Was it right to help the hunters when it wasn’t our fight? Sure, Marcus was trying to exterminate them and that would be murder, but was it our problem?

A vampire hunter’s job was to kill vampires, which I was. I just couldn’t wrap my head around being their ally. It didn’t make any sense to me. I mean, we could all just leave them to this battle and go to a different state, Europe even. I didn’t have anything important here anymore and I knew Evan, Sarah, Kelley, and my dad would go with me if I could only convince them to.

“Andria?”

I placed the palms of my hands on the back of my neck and turned around to find Evan standing behind me. I had walked a good ways from the group and no human could possibly hear us talking where we were.

“Is everything okay?” He asked.

I put my hands in the front, big pocket of my black hoodie and kicked at the dirt on the ground. “I don’t think it’s right.” I said softly.

“What don’t you think is right?” He asked, closing the gap in between us.

“I don’t think it’s right to side with the hunters.” I looked into his face. “Evan, they hunt us. We’re not supposed to mix. It’s just not right. It’s not how things should be, not how things are.” Evan let out a long breath and I could see it in the cold morning air. “I don’t expect you to understand what I’m feeling. After all, you are still very much human, but it just doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t know how to really feel about all this.”

“Oh Andria,” he swept me against his body and I went limp against him. “There can’t be three sides to a war. We need an ally and our only choice is the humans. Andria, we would be more beneficial to this fight if we sided with them. They need our strength and our powers. They will not come out of this alive unless we help them.”

I removed myself from his grasp and took a step back. “I just don’t see how we can form a united front with the humans. They will hate us, especially the hunters. Humans grow up in the world they know and aren’t going to accept such a disruption in their knowledge. And the hunters. They train to fight us, to kill us. It just won’t work; we have to remain divided.”

“We are finally free from Marcus, but what is freedom if we can’t side with who we should? Don’t you see we are more human than vampire in this case? I know that we are not human, but we are more like them in our hearts than maybe we care to be. It is Marcus who portrays the vampire heart in this battle and Andria, we are not like him.” Evan pleaded with me.

I stepped closer to him and gently grabbed both of his shoulders, “Evan, I know that we are not like Marcus in the sense that we don’t want this to happen, but we are not human. We do not belong with them. We belong together, not with them or Marcus.”

“I don’t want to argue with you, but my position isn’t going to change. I am not going to let Marcus rule my decisions simply because we are the same species. Don’t you get it? This isn’t right and we must help those who cannot help themselves.” Evan said.

“What if we just left? We could move to another state or even another country? I know you may think it to be the cowardly way out, but if this does turn into a war then we will have to fight.” I looked up at him as tears began to fall from my eyes. “I don’t want to lose you.”

He took me into his arms again and held me tight, trying to comfort me. I knew this was going to turn out bad and I didn’t want to stick around to find out. But most of all, I didn’t want to put myself into the situation of losing Evan or any of the others. I didn’t know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment