Monday, October 13, 2008

Latin Excellence and Dodging an Unwanted Bullet

First of all, and this is simply my opinion, but Medea was insane. Try comparing her to a modern day serial killer and see what happens. Not many people would kill their own brother AND children (plus several others). I wouldn't want her as my mommy.

So every MWF I have an 8AM class and each MWF I see the same couple on my way to said class. We park in the same parking lot so it's kind of inevitable, but really annoying for me. They are the typical high school outcast couple, but the catch is that they aren't in high school! Freshmen crossed my mind, but still. Anyway, the point is that every time I see them I have to try my best to hold in my breakfast. The guy always walks with his arm around the girl, which by the way I would never let a guy do; I'm sorry but I'm not something to possess. And then I always see them before class starts and the girl always has her head buried in the guy's chest and I can just imagine her saying, "Please don't make me go to class. How do I know I'll see you again?" Freakin' emo pussy needs to man up and quit being possessed and go to class so she can have a future because let me tell you something ... she is not going to have too bright of a future with this guy. That's for sure. But if she is really that worried about never seeing him again then she can just follow me around because I see him all the time. Seriously. Grow the fuck up.
[It's technically not that big of a deal, but it makes me sick.]

On the up side.
I made an A on my Latin exam. I was in complete shock because I could have sworn that I failed. Who knew?

There's this one guy in my Latin class who I'm assuming likes me and I do not like him. That always sucks because then he annoys the hell out of me. Too bad it's too late in the semester to sit on the other side of the room. He would totally call me out on it. So anyway, every time he walks behind me or sees me or anything he thumps me ... like some retard. Obviously it's his way of flirting but apparently he hasn't received the many signals I have sent back with big fat Xs on them. He's a nice guy and we have the same major and a similar aspiration (writing fantasy), but no thank you. I don't want someone who is so similar to me. How boring is that. So how in the world do I get out of this without being a bee-atch, without dropping the class, and without making up a fake boyfriend? If only I knew because I do not want to have the unwanted conversation with him.

Lastly.
I had to write an essay about Frederic Jameson and then compare his theories to a literary work so here it is if interested. Note: This is just the main idea, not the final draft.
Frederic Jameson is a devout Marxist which means that he follows the teachings and theories of Karl Marx. A Marxist begins to understand a literary work through the form of production of a specific period in time with the basis of understanding through the economics of the literary work. A Marxist feels that the economy structures a person, thus influencing the person’s interpretation of literature and how the person writes. Furthermore, a Marxist feels that a person must first understand Marxism to understand literature. Once that is accomplished, Jameson feels the person should put away what they know and access the period of thought in which the work was created. Jameson feels this way because to him history, as economic history, is the bottom line to understanding anything. To further understand a literary work, the Marxist methodology calls for the understanding of the political history to which the work refers, the social history, and the history of modes of production. Jameson also believes that no literary work is directly accessible without mediation and that no literary work is pure because it has always been viewed at an earlier time either through the person’s own ideas or the influence around the person.
In Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight, the political history, social history, and modes of production surround the Volturi. The Volturi are the largest coven of vampires and they act as the political figures of the vampire world because they are the oldest in existence. Their main job is to enforce the one main law which forbids any human of knowing that vampires exist. The Volturi fit into the story of Twilight not only because they are the political figures, but also because they have a social history with the main characters. Carlisle Cullen, a main character, lived with the Volturi for many years until he started his own coven. Another connection is that the Volturi want Edward and Alice, two other main characters, to join their coven because of their rare gifts. The Volturi’s modes of production are that they only enlist those who have special gifts of which they are in need. These special gifts are what make the Volturi the elite political figures of the vampire world.

1 comment:

  1. haha... I actually acted in a stage play of Medea. I played the messenger that gets to give a 10 minute monologue about how the king and princess basically spontaneously combust and melt. It was quite lovely. I made people cry.

    ReplyDelete