Monday, December 8, 2008

Perfect Insanity - Evan

My eyes were so heavy I could barely tell what I was reading. I sat in the cafeteria before school, looking over my government notes one final time before I had to take the test in first period.
Even though I had stayed up all night studying, I still didn’t know the material well enough, but it would be enough to pass.


I leaned back in the chair I was sitting in and stared out the window I was facing, willing the bright sun to revive me. Next time I’ll have to remember I have a test.

I looked at the big clock near the ceiling to check the time. I better get to class.

Standing, I gathered my things off the table and stored them in my backpack. I turned around to push in my chair and that’s when I saw her.

She was walking down the main hall just as normal as ever, except that she had earphones in her ears. That may not be abnormal, but people usually use their out-of-class time wisely such as talking to their friends, but she didn’t greet anyone nor did she look at anyone. Her eyes were focused straight ahead, yet she seemed to be in another world. I’ve never seen a girl so enthralled by music that it keeps her from social interaction. But that wasn’t what caught my initial attention.

She was beautiful. Yes, a lot of girls are beautiful, especially the ones who try their hardest to be so, but she was a natural beauty.

Her skin was creamy, deathly white and her hair was a long, silky, deep black. Her face was round, the type of round that makes you want to cup your hands around the sides just for the feeling. Her entire body was slender, yet curvy. Her baggy black pants weren’t formfitting like her dark burgundy t-shirt, but they still flattered her.

Josh came up to me just then, causing me to look away from the beautiful creature.

“Evan. Ready for that Gov test?” He asked.

I looked back towards the hall, finding her almost immediately. “Who is that?” I asked Josh, not removing my focus.

Josh followed my gaze. “Uh, Andria Marcellus, I’m pretty sure. Dude, we’re gonna be late again.”

Andria Marcellus.

Josh and I walked out of the cafeteria and into the crowded main hallway. I looked for Andria, but apparently she was too far ahead and the crowd was too thick for me to see her.
I followed Josh into our government class, not being able to remove her from my thoughts. Not wanting to remove her from my thoughts.

Mr. Brown closed the door after us and immediately began handing out the test. I looked my copy of the test over and realized all my late night studying didn’t matter anymore. The only subject that
occupied my mind was Andria Marcellus.

I went to the restroom after I had finished the test. I thought splashing cold water on my face would allow me to regain a healthy frame of mind, one that didn’t revolve around a girl I had never actually met.

I stood over the sink, facing the mirror. My reflection was normal: white kid, almost six foot, green eyes, and short black hair. But my insides were squirming. I felt as if every feeling I was experiencing was clearly visible to everyone else, but I guess I was wrong. Although when I looked at myself I saw desperation. I had never needed or wanted anyone so desperately before, as desperately as I needed and wanted Andria.

I splashed water on my face and went to head out the door to my next class, but I knocked into someone I hadn’t known was there.

“Sorry man, I wasn’t paying attention,” I apologized. He didn’t seem to hear me nor did he seem to care that I had bumped into him. I realized I had never seen him before and he was definitely not a 40-year-old high school student. He also had the same eyes as Andria and that factor alone made me nervous. I tried to get around him and out the door but before I could he leaned toward me. I tried to back away, but he grabbed me by the shoulders.

The next thing I knew I was standing over the same sink I had been at moments before. Then I remembered I was going to class.

No comments:

Post a Comment