Sunday, July 5, 2009

TGF Excerpt & Update

Wow, tripling your projected word count for the day is invigorating. I absolutely love how when I begin to write, I can't stop! Unless I hit a wall. But then I walk around my room for a few minutes and BAM! Instant idea. Thank you, Mr. Brain Wave. You've been most helpful.

I'm finishing up Chapter 7 of The Great Funnel today. I've hit 23K today and still pressing hard. I have a lot more to go to get this baby completed by December, but I'm going to do it.

I've been having this problem lately to where I'll sit in class and, instead of taking notes, I'll write out a new scene. Writing long-hand is very refreshing since I don't do it very often. My MacBook goes everywhere with me so I usually rely on it.

I'm going to try and send out more queries this week after finals on Tuesday. All I've received are rejections so far, but I'm pushing through. I just need to find an agent that can connect with my work. I think once I finish The Great Funnel, I'll get a lot of positive feedback. But then again, I'm sure most unpublished writers say that. Who knows! Only time and patience will tell.

I found this amazing quote today from Silko's Storyteller.

Italic
"With these stories of ours
we can escape almost anything
with these stories we will survive."




Okay, fine! I'll post an excerpt. You talked me into it.
This scene is the beginning of Chapter 7. Matthew has re-entered into Hell and reclaimed his rightful place as head Keeper and Diabulus' (Lucifer's) right-hand man.

---------------------------

With the Book still in my hand, I covered it with my other hand and it disappeared back to its rightful place.

As my army stood around me, my entire past life came flooding back to me automatically. I was amazed at how much my human memory had suppressed. Who knew that the human mind was so extremely powerful?

I especially remembered who had wronged me.

“Jester.” After I spoke, one of the demons stalked forward and stopped five feet from me. “Lead me to Diabulus.”

Jester looked up at me slowly as his face went blank. Anger briefly touched his eyes and then he hesitantly nodded in complains.

Satisfied with my command, I looked around to the rest o my command. “Go regain your posts.”

“Morealis,” one of the demons called.

I nodded my head. “Dyntai.”

“Devastation’s men have taken over our posts. They guard Dis.”

“Do not concern yourself with Devastation’s men. Reclaim your rightful place in Dis. All who stand in your way shall answer to me.”

Dyntai nodded once in affirmation and then his head reclaimed its bow in reverence.

“If any of you have further concerns I should know about, seek me out anon.” I paused as my inside shivered with power. “I have returned as your Keeper.”

My army sneered and swayed on their bony, strong feet in satisfaction. Drool made its way down their faces, causing their optical terror to increase.

“Now go!” I yelled.

They stalked off as blood thirsty demons as they went to reclaim their rightful places in the city.

No wonder the city had been almost empty when Devastation had summoned me. Apparently he had been supplied with an army and they had taken over Dis. Hell had suffered greatly with my reincarnation. If Devastation, an earth-bound mercenary, had been given an army, I wondered who had been appointed my position.

“Jester, come.” I walked past the demon and straight toward the south wall of the city.

I didn’t turn around to make sure Jester was following. I could feel him. If he had disobeyed me, well, there was no way that he could. It wasn’t in a demon’s nature to disobey, unless they were a Conterent. In that case, Diabulus and myself were the only ones who could control a Conterent.

When I reached the wall, I placed my left hand on the black stone and my eyes closed briefly and reopened. I stood there, waiting, until Jester stepped through the wall.

It was the same effect as when I had gone through the crushing air with Hannah, except that this time there wasn’t any pain. I couldn’t follow Jester of my own free will because I was being guided, although this time I knew where I would end up.

Coming out of the wall, we entered into Judecca. My feet walked on top of a frozen lake and beneath the surface, sinners lie frozen. These sinners were traitors to their benefactors. Contorted in different positions, these traitors were frozen for all eternity.

Scattered along the ice the entire way through Judecca lie single mounds of frozen lava. They held no purpose, but that of punishment.

In the midst of our path ahead hovered a mist-shrouded shape. Walking through the fog, my human heart leapt in my throat with fear, but my Keeper confidence and strength kept that fear at bay. This was an opportunity in more than one fashion.

Having an audience with Diabulus could allow several things to happen. Most importantly, I could barter for Hannah’s life, as well as Ellie and Bill’s. Then I could figure out how to control the Conterents once more. It shouldn’t be too difficult, but I needed the information only Diabulus held. I was the only one he would give it to.

Stepping into his presence was intoxicating. There was nothing like the experience in all the worlds. Diabulus was enormous. He towered over every other creature in Hell and then some. There was no way to measure him. His size was unexplainable.

He is the ultimate punisher. No one can compare to his methods. This level of Hell holds the most dishonorable men in the history of mankind.

Diabulus has three heads and therefore, three mouths. His left and right mouths eternally eat Brutus and Cassius, the conspirators to Julius Caesar’s assassination. They are stuck in feet first and in constant agony, yet never allowed to die. His middle mouth constantly chews on Judas, Jesus’ betrayer. Judas is placed head first into Diabulus’ mouth with only his legs free to kick the air that will not save him. He is constantly torn to shreds, yet never allowed an end to the suffering.

Agony rips through the lowest level of Hell through the betrayals’ agony and screams, and also through the constant wind by Diabulus’ wings, which keep the Cocytus lake frozen beneath him. Any human who traveled down here would be killed almost instantly if they were not in favor with the gods, although, pure fright might kill them first.

I looked up at Diabulus and then back to Jester. “Thank you for your guidance.”

Agony leapt through his face and seemed to engulf him from within. He tried not to scream, tried to keep his pain at bay, but it soon become too much. There was no use in trying to control it when it was designed to control you.

Jester’s hands caught fire out of nowhere and his tough skin began to melt into burning lava. There was no stopping it now. Diabulus had shown his wrath and there was no going back.

No one was allowed to disrupt Diabulus’ chamber except his right-hand demon and the gods. There were other ways to communicate with Diabulus, but that was impersonal and usually only occurred with an unimportant situation. This was an important situation and Diabulus had been expecting me.

Jester slowly melted to the black soil underfoot along with his screams. It was not befitting a demon to scream, but in this instance it was almost expected. Besides, now he had endured his rightful punishment for the wrong doings he had committed against my command before my reincarnation.



No comments:

Post a Comment